Re: [NTLK] best ways to type foreign accents

From: Helvécio Mafra (helvecio.mafra_at_newted.org)
Date: Thu Mar 04 2004 - 17:16:53 PST

I think what you need is a package called "PT-KEYB Brazilian", by
Travel Concept Solutions. They have several freeware keyboards (the one
that you tap on the little keyboard icon) for various languages,
including Brazilian Portuguese. Their web site used to be at
www.travel-cs.com, but it's not working right now :(
Where are you located? If near Brazilia we could arrange a meeting so
that I can beam the package to you. I have no idea if I still have it
on my computer, but it's in my Newton for sure.

How can I upload a package from the Newton to the computer, BTW?

Cheers,
Helvecio

On quinta-feira, mar 4, 2004, at 10:37 Brazil/East, Marcus Andree S.
Magalhaes wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> My girlfriend will be using my MP 2k for a while in a field research
> (a notebook is too heavy). I've writtem most (if not all) docs in
> English, but she'll need a better/quicker/easier way to type foreign
> (western european) characters and accents.
>
> I've searched the net for a while, discovered some programs that could
> help, but it appears that none of them have the desired functionality
> she'll need:
>
> simple, dead key-like, way to input accented letters via attached
> keybord or by switching the default on-screen keyboard.
>
> Can anyone share some experience on this subject? I'm pretty sure that
> my girlfriend will be *really* bored by typing a few paragraphs with
> the default option-key_combo method, and, besides, I can't guarantee
> all characters will be there.
>
> As a programmer, I'm willing to write a new app, if necessary... Any
> advice or known similar source code to start with?
>
> I also tried a package called Int'l Keyboard, but a error occurred when
> installing, the default on-screen keyboard died after that and I had to
> restore a recemt backup. 8-(
>
> Any advice would be thankful.
>
> TIA,
>
> Marcus

Um abraço,
Helvécio

--
Amigo é alguém que tem os mesmos inimigos que você.
                                                          \|||/