[NTLK] Latest Build of Escale working great

From: Corey Reid (coreyr_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Jun 29 2004 - 11:13:24 PDT

Hi Newtonians

I've recently joined the list, having been an eMate owner for years. My eMates have sat on the shelf for the past two years or so, but I had a brainwave and acquired a MessagePad 2000 from a friend, and my little green friends are part of my life once again.

Anyway, I just wanted to relate my experience using Escale to install packages on the MessagePad. The MP has a DLink ethernet card and I connected it directly to my router. Fired up Escale (1.1) and started up Dock on the MP and they connected just fine. Hurrah!

Tried to install a package but sadly, no joy. Nothing seemed to happen. Futzed with it a little and couldn't get anything working.

Emailed Paul Guyot at Kallisys and got a response right away, recommending I install the latest nightly build:

http://www.kallisys.com/newton/dcl/nightlies/?lg=en&m=droopy&n=20040619031503

Had one kind of strange error where the installation process wouldn't end, but it worked flawlessly otherwise and I'm happily installing packages like a madman.

So, first off, props to Paul for a quick response and for the very excellent Escale application. We are fortunate to have such a tool.

Secondly, if you're having trouble, try the build posted above. Worked just fine for me.

Thirdly, I'm now all in tizzy with all the available options and am hoping some more experienced folks can offer me some advice.

I'm loving DashBoard from FiveSpeed -- are there any gotchas with this product I should know about? It's pretty spectacular as far as I can see -- the review that called it "Newton OS 3.0" doesn't seem far off. So if there's any known issues, I'd appreciate the warning.

I've also encountered a kind of annoying problem with NewtonWorks -- documents I've done on my eMate aren't super-useful on the MessagePad because the page width gets preserved -- and so I have to scroll right to left on every line since the page is so much wider than the screen. Even with the MP rotated to landscape view I still have to side-scroll. Is there some way to adjust page width in Works that I don't know about?

A little about my Newtonian ambitions -- I run table-top roleplaying games (like Dungeons and Dragons) and so a MP looks like a superb tool for speeding up all sorts of menial tasks on that job. I'm using FilePad to create an initiative tracking system, and hoping to keep as many of my notes as possible on the MP, to reduce the amount of crap I have to carry around. I'll keep you all posted as to how it goes. If anyone's interested in doing similar things with their Newtons, let me know and maybe we can collaborate.

Thanks, folks.

corey