Re: [NTLK] [OT] Happy WWDC (10AM Pacific)

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Mon Jun 28 2004 - 18:29:14 PDT

On Jun 28, 2004, at 2:43 PM, Jared Bland wrote:

>> I think the funniest/saddest announcement is the fact that Apple has
>> dumped there stupid ADC video connector in favor of the Standard DVI.
>> Except the 30" cinema display which is completely insane and therefore
>> needs a special card/connector.
>
> Funniest? I am not following that part, though I agree it's sad. The
> ADC connector was quite the innovation.
It's funny because Apple made similar "innovations" in the past, like
the A/V monitors for performa. Which had the mic and speaker pass
through as well as the Apple Desktop Bus. Come to think of it the
Apple desktop bus itself was a great innovation, but a pain also.

It was worth it in the case of ADB because the PC was so pathetic in
that regard. Adopting USB instead on the other hand was a huge win for
Apple.

Ultimately these kind of connector innovations end up being a pain for
many users and can be a significant additional expense in product cost,
when compared to standards based goods.

I think that as cool as these innovations are, being able to hook more
stuff together is good.

Marty

PS Maybe this will cause the price of the original Cinema display 22"
DVI to fall a bit :~)