Re: [NTLK] Connecting to the Internet with a T610

From: Grant Symon (Grant_at_GrantSymon.com)
Date: Sat Jun 26 2004 - 04:28:14 PDT

On 26 Jun 2004, at 12:40, Paul Guyot wrote:

> I can connect with my Mac. I don't trust Vodafone Live! firmware
> locked settings, so I did setup a new data configuration with a CID
> of 4 based on what I read in SFR's Pocket PC 2002 guide for earlier
> Ericsson models. Hence I need somehow to dial *99***4#.

I ran through the setup with an SFR tech support person. They had me
try both 3 and 4. I seem to remember 4 not working properly.

> You always need a script, I guess you use Apple Modem script (under
> Bluetooth/Modem) which actually sends ATDT*99***3# or something like
> this to dial *99***3#.

Yes, I meant I don't have any special script that I had to create in
the terminal or something. I use Ericsson InfraRed (basic).

> Also, the T610 has an IrDA port and I have the same problem when
> trying over IrDA.

I have these 'optional' DNS servers for SFR :
172.20.2.10
194.6.128.4

> The problem is later.
> I get a -60085 error (PPP Negotiation failed. Check the currently
> selected connection authorization settings, user name and password).

I have the username/account and password fields both empty. I guess if
it's coming from your mobile then you already have authorisation.

Have you tried connecting via a terminal window? To see what is going
on. Is there even a terminal option on the Newton?

I notice that the Ericsson IR script dates back to 1996, so there's a
pretty good chance that it should work with the Newton ... perhaps you
need to tweak it.

Whilst I have it open anyway and in case your picking up your email on
the Newton ... here's the script :

Grant
______________

! IrComm (Ericsson)
! Author: Kris Kreutzman & Russ Winsper
!
! Copyright: © 1991-1996 Apple Computer, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
!
! revision history:
! v2.1 as shipped with the ARA 2.1
! v2.2 update CARRIER/CONNECT parsing
!
! 'mlts' resource info for this modem:
! byte 1 == 01 -> modem HAS built-in error correction protocols
! byte 2 == 01 -> modem HAS built-in data compression protocols
! byte 3 == 200 -> max number of chars in varstr 7
! byte 4 == 200 -> max number of chars in varstr 8
! byte 5 == 200 -> max number of chars in varstr 9
!
@ORIGINATE
@ANSWER
!
! ---- Initial modem setup ----
!
! Set serial port speed 9600 regardless (actually doesn't matter)
! Reset to factory seetings below sets +CBST to 0,0,1 which
! tells the IR modem to autobaud and IrComm doesn't care
!
@LABEL 1
serreset 9600, 0, 8, 1
!
@LABEL 2
hsreset 0 0 0 0 0 0
settries 0
!
! Get the modem's attention
!
matchclr
matchstr 1 3 "OK\13\10"
write "AT\13"
matchread 30
jump 101
!
@LABEL 3
matchclr
matchstr 1 4 "ERICSSON"
write "AT+CGMI\13"
matchread 60
jump 103
!
@LABEL 4
!
! Setup the modem for the following:
! Reset to factory settings (&F)
! Echo off (E0)
! Track remote DCD (&C1)
! Turn off answering (S0=0)
!
matchclr
matchstr 1 5 "OK\13\10"
matchstr 2 101 "ERROR\13\10"
write "AT&FE0&C1S0=0\13"
matchread 30
inctries
iftries 3 101
!
! Reset the Modem on setup failure
!
DTRClear
pause 5
DTRSet
flush
jump 4
!
!
@LABEL 5
ifANSWER 32
!
!
! ---- Originating a call ----
!
! Varstring 6, dialing mode:
! = 0, normal dialing
! = 1, blind dialing
! = 2, manual dialing
! otherwise dial as ARA version 1.0
ifstr 6 19 "0"
ifstr 6 17 "1"
ifstr 6 15 "2"
!
! Dialing for ARA version 1.0
note "Dialing ^1" 3
write "ATD^3^1\13
jump 32
!
@LABEL 15
! Display ASK dialog with message. Goto label 107 if dialog canceled.
ASK 2 "Pick up the phone & dial ^1. When the phone rings, click OK
then hang up." 107
note "Manual dialing initiated" 3
! X1 to ignore dialtone & busy, D to dial
write "ATX1D\13"
jump 32
!
@LABEL 17
note "Dialing without tone" 3
matchclr
matchstr 1 19 "OK\13\10"
! X1 to ignore dialtone & busy
write "ATX1\13"
matchread 30
jump 101
!
!
!
@LABEL 19
! Display the full dialstring contained in Varstring 1
note "Dialing ^1" 3
!
! Varstrings 7, 8 and 9, contain dialstring fragments
! Long phone numbers may need to be split into smaller groups
! for the modem to use
!
! Varstring 3: "p" for pulse & "t" for tone dialing
! Varstring 8 == blank (dialstring in varstring 7)
! Varstring 9 == blank (dialstring in varstrings 7 & 8)
! Otherwise (dialstring in varstrings 7, 8 & 9)
!
ifstr 8 27 " "
ifstr 9 24 " "
!
! Write dialstring in varstrings 7, 8 & 9
matchclr
matchstr 1 21 "OK\13\10"
write "ATD^3^7;\13"
matchread 400
jump 101

@LABEL 21
matchclr
matchstr 1 22 "OK\13\10"
write "ATD^3^8;\13"
matchread 400
jump 101

@LABEL 22
write "ATD^3^9\13"
jump 32
!
!
@LABEL 24
! Write dialstring in varstrings 7 & 8
matchclr
matchstr 1 25 "OK\13\10"
write "ATD^3^7;\13"
matchread 400
jump 101

@LABEL 25
write "ATD^3^8\13"
jump 32
!
@LABEL 27
! Write dialstring in varstring 7
write "ATD^3^7\13"
!
!
! ---- Connection response ----
!
! The following section will parse modem responses of two types:
! 1) CARRIER xxx, PROTOCOL: yyy, COMPRESSION: yyy, CONNECT xxx
! 2) CONNECT xxx/yyy
!
@LABEL 32
settries 0
@LABEL 33
matchclr
matchstr 1 81 "RING\13\10"
matchstr 2 102 "NO DIALTONE\13\10"
matchstr 3 103 "NO CARRIER"
matchstr 4 103 "ERROR\13\10"
matchstr 5 104 "BUSY\13\10"
matchstr 6 105 "NO ANSWER\13\10"
matchstr 7 35 "CONNECT"
matchstr 8 34 "CARRIER"
matchstr 9 62 "PROTOCOL: LAP"
matchstr 10 62 "PROTOCOL: MNP"
matchstr 11 62 "PROTOCOL: ALT"
matchstr 12 67 "COMPRESSION: V"
matchstr 13 67 "COMPRESSION: MNP5"
matchstr 14 67 "COMPRESSION: CLASS"
matchread 700
ifANSWER 32
jump 105
!
! CARRIER parsing
!
@LABEL 34
jsr 38
inctries
jump 33
!
! CONNECT parsing - do not parse rate if CARRIER seen
!
@LABEL 35
iftries 1 61
jsr 38
jump 61
!
! Parse CONNECT/CARRIER rate subroutine
! 2400 and 4800 have two entries each
! to distinguish them from 24000 and 48000
!
@LABEL 38
matchclr
matchstr 1 40 "2400\13"
matchstr 2 40 "2400/"
matchstr 3 41 "4800\13"
matchstr 4 41 "4800/"
matchstr 5 42 "7200"
matchstr 6 43 "9600"
matchstr 7 44 "12000"
matchstr 8 45 "14400"
matchstr 9 46 "16800"
matchstr 10 47 "19200"
matchstr 11 48 "21600"
matchstr 12 49 "24000"
matchstr 13 50 "26400"
matchstr 14 51 "28800"
matchstr 15 52 "31200"
matchstr 16 53 "33600"
matchread 10
jump 59
!
! -- Connection rates --
! CommunicatingAt informs ARA of the raw modem to modem
! connection speed.
!
@LABEL 40
note "Communicating at 2400 bps." 2
CommunicatingAt 2400
jump 60
!
@LABEL 41
note "Communicating at 4800 bps." 2
CommunicatingAt 4800
jump 60
!
@LABEL 42
note "Communicating at 7200 bps." 2
CommunicatingAt 7200
jump 60
!
@LABEL 43
note "Communicating at 9600 bps." 2
CommunicatingAt 9600
jump 60
!
@LABEL 44
note "Communicating at 12400 bps." 2
CommunicatingAt 12400
jump 60
!
@LABEL 45
note "Communicating at 14400 bps." 2
CommunicatingAt 14400
jump 60
!
@LABEL 46
note "Communicating at 16800 bps." 2
CommunicatingAt 16800
jump 60
!
@LABEL 47
note "Communicating at 19200 bps." 2
CommunicatingAt 19200
jump 60
!
@LABEL 48
note "Communicating at 21600 bps." 2
CommunicatingAt 21600
jump 60
!
@LABEL 49
note "Communicating at 24000 bps." 2
CommunicatingAt 24000
jump 60
!
@LABEL 50
note "Communicating at 26400 bps." 2
CommunicatingAt 26400
jump 60
!
@LABEL 51
note "Communicating at 28800 bps." 2
CommunicatingAt 28800
jump 60
!
@LABEL 52
note "Communicating at 31200 bps." 2
CommunicatingAt 31200
jump 60
!
@LABEL 53
note "Communicating at 33600 bps." 2
CommunicatingAt 33600
jump 60
!
@LABEL 59
note "Communicating at an unknown rate." 2
!
@LABEL 60
return
!
! Look for reliablilty and compression results
! after the CONNECT rate.
!
@LABEL 61
matchclr
matchstr 1 63 "LAPM"
matchstr 2 63 "REL"
matchstr 3 63 "ARQ"
matchstr 4 68 "COMP/"
matchstr 5 68 "COMP\13"
matchstr 6 63 "V42/"
matchstr 7 63 "V42\13"
matchstr 8 68 "V42BIS"
matchstr 9 68 "V42bis"
matchstr 10 63 "MNP\13"
matchstr 11 68 "MNP5"
matchstr 12 70 "\10"
matchread 10
jump 70

! -- Modem error correction link negotiation --
! Userhook 2 informs ARA that a modem-to-modem error
! correcting protocol has been negotiated
!
!
@LABEL 62
note "Modem Reliable Link Established." 2
userhook 2
jump 33
!
@LABEL 63
note "Modem Reliable Link Established." 2
userhook 2
jump 61
!
! -- Compression negotiation --
! Userhook 3 informs ARA that a modem-to-modem compression
! protocol has been negotiated
!
@LABEL 67
note "Modem Compression Established." 2
userhook 3
jump 33
!
@LABEL 68
note "Modem Compression Established." 2
userhook 3
jump 61
!
!
! -- Normal exit after "CONNECT" --
!
! This modem has been setup to do CTS handshaking,
! and we assume that a CTS handshaking cable is being used.
!
@LABEL 70
! Turn on CTS handshaking.
HSReset 0 1 0 0 0 0
!
ifANSWER 71
pause 30
@LABEL 71
exit 0
!
!
! ---- Answer calls ----
!
! A RING result from the modem and in ANSWERING mode
! claims the serial port and answering the phone
!
@LABEL 81
ifORIGINATE 32
userhook 1
note "Answering phone..." 2
write "ATA\13"
jump 32
!
!
! ---- Hang up and reset modem ----
!
@HANGUP
@LABEL 90
settries 0
HSReset 0 0 0 0 0 0
!
@LABEL 92
! Escape from data to command mode
matchclr
matchstr 1 96 "OK\13\10"
write "+++"
matchread 20
!
@LABEL 94
! Force a hangup
matchclr
matchstr 1 98 "NO CARRIER\13\10"
matchstr 2 98 "OK\13\10"
matchstr 3 98 "ERROR\13\10"
matchstr 4 98 "0\13\10"
write "ATH\13"
matchread 30
!
! Try to get control of the modem by toggling DTR
DTRClear
pause 5
DTRSet
flush
!
! Try the hangup sequence three times otherwise declare and error
inctries
iftries 3 101
jump 92
!