Re: [NTLK] Ethernet woes (long)

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Wed Jun 23 2004 - 10:11:45 PDT

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 04:11:24PM +0100, Mark Holden wrote:
> I'm been trying to connect my N2100 to my desktop eMac via ethernet for
> several weeks now with no joy. Despite reading the connection FAQ and
> the various email threads that have covered this I can't find the
> problem. I'm sure it must be something really obvious I'm missing but..
> I can't see the wood for the trees at the moment. Can anybody tell me
> where I'm going wrong?
>
> This is the equipment I'm using:
> Newton MP 2100
> eMac 1GHz
> Netgear 5-port Ethernet switch (model FS605)
> 3com Etherlink PC card 3C589C
>
> I have installed Newton Internet Enabler, Newton Devices, Newton
> Ethernet Support, Newton Internet Setup, Farralon PN895 Driver, 3Com
> Add-on (3comaddon.pkg) and the 3Com Driver (3c589.pkg) as per the
> instructions on the excellent 'Newton Ethernet Explained' site
> (http://newted.dyndns.org/users/1f2frfbf/ethernet.html).

Use the 3comaddon.pkg one. You shouldn't need the 3c589.pkg. Mine works
without it, and I've got same kit on the Newton side.

http://www.newtontalk.net/archive/newtontalk.2002-10/3359.html

> On the Newton I have set up a Primary Ethernet Setup in Internet Setup
> with the following details:
> Configuration: DHCP Server
> Card: 3Com 3C589 PC card
> Domain name: <none>

Not useful unless you're using IP, and...

> In Prefs, AppleTalk preferences are set to 'connect using Ethertalk'
> and 'Card 3Com 3C589 PC card'

You're not using IP yet. That's okay, getting an Appletalk connection is
important as well.

> The Dock is set up to 'connect via AppleTalk' but when I select
> 'Connect to ... other computer' all I get is the "Looking for MacOS
> computers.." box. The activity LED on the ethernet switch for the Newt
> connection does not light up at any point.

The card's not working for some reason, then, probably the 3c589 package
interfering. Appletalk is noisy. During that seeking phase, your switch
should be flashing like a theatre marquee. Every port that has a link
active will show activity.

> I've tried the 3Com card in my 1400 Powerbook. It works like a charm
> and I have no trouble networking this with my eMac via the Netgear
> switch. I've also tried deleting the packages mentioned above and
> then re-installing them but this hasn't helped.

Sometimes, it seems that order matters with the installation. NIE first,
then

> I have other software
> installed on the Newton including ATA support for a 128Mb compact flash
> disk, Hiroshi's wireless LAN driver, Blunt, IC/VC all of which I hoped
> to start using soon.

None of that will help at this point.

> So... any suggestions before I do a total brainwipe and start again?
> any advice would be gratefully received.

When you start up a connection attempt, does the light on the ethernet
dongle come on?

--
65. If I must have computer systems with publically available terminals, the
    maps they display of my complex will have a room clearly marked as the Main