Re: [NTLK] Alternative means of backing up a store?

From: George Bingham (georgeb1962_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jun 21 2004 - 11:57:08 PDT

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 14:34:08 -0400, Zac Bir <urbanape_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> are there no other means to backup a card to a Mac running OS X or to
> another card?

Hi Zac,

    I have not tried this myself - not currently running linux - but
if you have a machine that can run linux with a pcmcia interface, or
if you're using the ATA driver with a CF card or whatever (still need
some kind of card reader) you may be able to backup the contents of
the card with basic linux / unix utilities.

   This came from a previous NTLK message:

dd if=/dev/sda of=ata16.img

     dd is the command that would read the contents of a card in
/dev/sda and save it to a file (in this case, it was a 16 Mb ata
card). Theoretically, the card images could have meaningful names for
various combinations of setups or whatever, and would be writable back
to the card using a similar command.

    I HAVE NOT DONE THIS MYSELF, but don't see any reason why it might
not work. (these utilities read and write raw information, so the lack
of a traditional filesystem for Newton soups may not matter).

HTH,

George