Re: [NTLK] [OT] iMac G3 Tech support / Buying advice

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Mon Jun 21 2004 - 10:30:45 PDT

On Jun 21, 2004, at 10:07 AM, Chris Edwards wrote:

> I suggested off list to check the firmware, I have bought severall 400
> models with oddball video faults that worked like magic with the right
> firmware(these were osx install issues where people ignored the readme
> file!) all the faults did not show at first and they were mostly
> different!
Yes, I have dealt with many of these also.

I see this as Apple dropping the ball for these customers. OSX should
have checked the imac firmware and stopped before installing. I know
for a fact of several cases where people actually got rid of there
iMacs after this experience because they were told they needed a new
logic board.

In fact I have a DV 400 I got for free, because a buddy of mine had
disassembled it completely trying to fix a video issue... I didn't
have the heart to tell him it didn't have to come apart.

David, I don't know specifically which model I am describing, but I
know I have seen a 350Mhz imac WITH FW on board (blueberry?) It is of
course possible that someone other then apple configured it this way.
But it looked factory equipped to me.

Marty