Re: [NTLK] [OT] Something more irritating than off-topic posts...

From: Simon Stapleton (simon_at_tufty.co.uk)
Date: Sat Jun 19 2004 - 02:38:33 PDT

> On Jun 16, 2004, at 6:18 PM, Ed Kummel wrote:
>
>> It's most definatly your ISP.
>> Your ISP gets a grade "F" for their mail server.
>> go to www.dnsstuff.com and do a DNS timing against the
>> MX record.

Actually, that's not my ISP. That's my domain host, who I'm trying to
move away from (used to be a friend who ran it, he had big family
problems, farmed the server off to another friend, now it's up and down
like - well, like a thing that goes up and down a lot[1]. Let's just
say it's a lot less reliable than it was in the past).

My real issue is with tiscali.fr's mail server, which fails miserably
to send mails on many occasions. Not to mention the fact that they
charge me more for a dialup connection than the current cost of ADSL
(but hey, we don't got ADSL here in my corner of the alps, despite
having one of the largest bandwidth pipes in Europe running through the
village and 50m from my house - that, however, is another story...)

If anyone knows of a decent, cheap, reliable, *nix based hosting
service, please drop me a mail offlist. Bonus points if they offer an
upgrade to cohosting.

> Cool website! thanks Ed!

Yeah, dnsstuff is great. Very handy if you don't have a unix box with
all the necessary tools on, and gives some other, less common tools,
all in one easy to find place. Nice.

Simon

[1] I would have put a reference to "a sex professional's
undergarments" here, but figured it might be taken as offensive by some
;-)

--
PGP Key Id : 0x50D0698D