Re: [NTLK] HP DeskJet 340 printer

From: Julian Wright (julianwr_at_paradise.net.nz)
Date: Thu Jun 17 2004 - 16:40:28 PDT

MKow1234_at_aol.com wrote:
> I can't diagnose your IrDA communication problem sight unseen. There IS a
> specific IrDA driver that enhances the communication speed between the Newton MP
> 2X00 and the HP DeskJet 340. Perhaps installing said driver software would
> fix the problem. I have found from my own personal experience that the IrDA
> print method is far slower than using a hard line connection. Your best bet is
> to try a Newton Print Pack.

I too have an HP DeskJet 340 which I purchased for my MP2100. It came
with a paper feeder but not the battery, but the battery was available
as a part from HP. I got the IrDA adaptor for it over eBay.

I found that initially it was a very slow process to print via IrDA, but
that installing the aforementioned HP IrDA driver patch fixes the speed
issues and the printer now prints via IrDA as fast as it does over the
printpack (which I also have).

I did notice though that the HP340(IrDA) driver in the MP2100 seems to
get the paper size slightly wrong as compared to the generic Deskjet
driver - when printing Dates via IrDA the last line gets chopped off and
printed on a new, seperate page - something which doesn't happen when
printing via the generic Deskjet driver.