Re: [NTLK] After-market power adapter

From: dlandown_at_chroma.med.miami.edu
Date: Tue Jun 15 2004 - 17:14:04 PDT

Unfortunately I did not search the archives before going to ebay.
I just received a power adapter I "won" (5702385252). The add looks very
similar to the (5700198547) described below. The ad says

9W AC Power Adapter   For Apple Newton Message Pad Brand New in white box.

Input Voltage:  100-120V
Output  voltage:  7.5V

THESE UNITS WERE CUSTOM PRODUCED USING THE SAME SPECIFICATIONS AS THE
ORIGINAL APPLE NEWTON CHARGER.  THEY HAVE BEEN TESTED ON NUMEROUS 2000 AND
2100 MODELS AND HAVE WORKED FLAWLESSLY.

But the unit says
Model: SYS1089-1209L-W2
           ___
Output +9V --- 1.33A
Output Power 12W max

(It smells new and has a white box)

On query the seller says

"I forgot to attach a label explaining that the unit has incorrect
printing on it. The unit has correct specs."

Is it safe to plug it in to my precious Newton? Is there some other way
to test it? Has anyone had experience with this power adapter?

tia

David