[NTLK] working CF GPS Card WAS RE: [ANN] TeletypeHack

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_comcast.net)
Date: Wed Jun 09 2004 - 04:37:09 PDT

On Wednesday, June 9, 2004, at 03:19 AM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
wrote:

> Could you give specifics on your setup please? Which card do you have
> it working with?

oh- I thought everyone would be sick by now of that, I've posted about
the model often enough recently. One last time with some extras:

Haicom HI-303E

CF card format, WAAS capable, need a ~$12 CF adapter to fit in the
Newton. It protrudes from the side of the MP a bit of course, but it
feels sturdy and folds into an incredibly small package when not in
use. The card can be found for about $100 shipped and comes with cable
to use it as a GPS mouse on the serial port (firewire works too) and
included cables will hook it to your PC (cables for firewire, PS/2,
DB-9 included- you could go from DB-9 to Mac serial easily). I use
it with an external battery pack on the MP and it seems to go forever.
I'm sure I'd notice a hit if I were using internal batteries only, but
at the moment I'm using alkalines so I don't want to waste them,
haven't tested it with rechargeables. Power specs are on the
manufacturer web page.

<http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/haicom303mmf.php>
for a review and some little info about all 3 HI-303 models, not just
the MMF.

<http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/
modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=20063>
for some user comments (a Bluetooth slipper for it is available, I just
read)

<http://www.haicom.com.tw> for the manufacturer page and tech specs.

<http://www.storagemedia.com/
product.asp?pf_id=X%2DHI%2D303E&dept_id=23-001>
for a place to buy it for $94. They weren't throwing in a car mount
when I got mine, either.

 From my (admittedly light) research on current prices, WAAS-capable
handhelds started around $299 at Circuit City, up to $400 internet
purchase for the very latest model Garmin w/ huge-color-display that
one of our grad students bought. I've noticed over time that $95 is
the sweet spot for my techie purchases.

I heard about this model from another lister, Doug Parker perhaps (I
need to get out the door, don't have time to look) when they posted
info on this list about the card a while back. Nice tip, there.

HTH.

Brian

--
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that
we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only