Re: [NTLK] icelandic characters

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Tue Jun 08 2004 - 08:17:25 PDT

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 08:51:03AM -0500, Thomas A Isenbarger wrote:
> hello listers:
>
> just finished a move from boston to madison, wi, so i've been silent
> for a bit. now i have some new questions ready for all of you.

Wow... that's at least 4 active net newton owners in the Madison,
Milwaukee, Chicago triangle.

> can the newton do icelandic (and other non-english) characters? i
> recall seeing some posts saying the the newton is unicode compliant, so
> i imagine that it can, but i haven't been successful yet.

Warning: Inexpert opinion and some conjecture ahead

Yes, it will. In theory. You'll need proper fonts (that is, ones that
include Icelandic characters) and will probably need a special software
keyboard build to accomodate them. The handwriting recognition will
very likely not be able to cope with them correctly.

The accented vowels aren't a problem but "Ðð" and "Þþ" may be.

There's some extensive work done in making the Newton work in Japanese,
so similar things could be done in Icelandic, but

--
4. Shooting is not too good for my enemies.