Re: [NTLK] [OT] Apple purchasing large capacity mini hard drives from Toshiba

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Thu Jun 03 2004 - 19:24:51 PDT

> I am surprised that Apple has not yet made the iPod into a automatic
> portable Home directory container... With Panther and fast user
> This is a no brainer and MUST be right around the corner.

   It will be. It was rumored to be demoed at the WWDC last year (I
wasn't there, so I'm not breaking any NDA, I don't think..), and
there's an 'iPod' icon badge in the LoginServices application or
something in CoreServices directory.. It'll come in 10.4.. or 10.5 if
S.J. thinks it's leaked too much..

   My feeling is there were still some technical glitches in it (you
DON'T want to do think unless it's absolutely bulletproof) The
addition of journaling to HFS+ might have something to do with this -
what to do if someone accidentally unplugs their iPod while doing
something important.

Jim