[NTLK] Newton and networking

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 23:13:48 PDT

OK...here is the deal. For the last um-teen years,
I've been able to hook my Newton up to my company's
network using my Dlink and a hub.
Recently, within the last several weeks, my company
went through a PC-Refresh (meaning "new computers"...I
wonder how a bankrupt company can purchase 60,000 NEW
computers?) As a part of this PC-Refresh, they made
changes to the DHCP servers. They split the netblocks
up into smaller chunks to accomodate smaller
workgroups (that's what happens when you lay off
almost 100,000 people)
Now, my Newton can no longer get an IP from the DHCP
server.
I've got 4 machines already connected to my hub, so I
know it's not the hub's problem. The problem is
definatly with the DHCP server.
Now, I can go to my network help desk and whine to
them that my Newton can't connect-waaah - waaah -
waaaah!...and they'll come back with some crap about
what is it and why does it need to be connected in the
first place? And I know that the moment I mention that
it's an Apple device, I'll get an immediate refusal
(Heck, they barely let Windows machines on the
network...they're a bunch of Unix nazi's...and I'm
talking pure CLI!!!)
So. Here is my plea. I need someone to tell me a
reason WHY the Newton cannot get an IP from the DHCP
server, so I can tell the network wonks what they need
to turn on (bypassing the fact that this is to
accomodate the Newton)...kinda like an end-around to
their draconian stance on the purity of their
homogenous Unix environment...(sheesh, there's only
one thing worse than a stuck-up Unix guru <otherwise
known as a BOFH>...and we all know what THAT
evangelical person is....;-)
hopefully I can go to my network helpdesk wonks and
tell them that I need the framajammer thing-a-majig
service active on the router. And because I sounds
like I knows what I is doing, they'll implement the
change with little fanfare...
Thanks for your time...
Ed
web/gadget guru

=====
"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the decision."
 - Benjamin Franklin