[NTLK] Newton MP 2100 <-> Ericsson T39m: One success, one failure

From: Martin Howard (mvhoward_at_mac.com)
Date: Sat Jul 31 2004 - 16:26:40 PDT

One step closer to GPRS wireless surfing on my MP 2100. It turns out
that you *can* pair an MP 2100 with Blunt 0.7.6 and an Ericsson T39m...
provided you do things in the right order.

The cell phone first needs to be "discovered" from the Newton, after
which, pairing can then be done. The *incorrect* way of doing this is
to tap "Pair", enter a PIN, and initiate from the Newton. You'll see
the Bluetooth logo flash on the T39 for a while, and then it'll stop.
No pairing takes place.

The other *incorrect* way of doing this is to initiate pairing from the
T39, by first discovering the Newton. This will also result in
failure.

The correct procedure is as follows:
* Discover the T39 from the Newton
* Do "get services"
* On the T39, select "Add device" from the Bluetooth menu
* Select "Phone accepts" from the next menu
* On the Newton, enter a PIN in the text field and tap "Initiate"
* The phone will ask you if you wish to pair. Select "Yes", enter the
PIN, and press the "yes" key.
* Pairing will now take place. On the T39, you get the option of
changing the name (I just accepted the one it presented me with).
* Both the Newton and the T39 will now report the devices as "paired".

However... I now have a different problem. When I try to use the T39
as a GPRS gateway, with PPP, my Newton resets itself every time. It
gets as far as "Loading the PPP driver..." and then after a few
seconds, it reports "Error -19002" and resets. This behaviour is
repeatable. I cannot find -19002 or 19002 in the UNNA error code
database. I do have Blunt and NIE Modem & Serial Module installed in
internal memory (along with all the other NIE modules too). I removed
and reinstalled all the modules, just to make sure.

Any ideas?

M.