Re: [NTLK] Newton Newbie: Some initial impressions, experiences (and perhaps even recommendations)

From: keith (keith_at_vortex.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jul 30 2004 - 03:07:18 PDT

Sometime around 29/7/04 (at 8:17 pm -0400) Mark Ross said:

>I have a thought for the more enlightened on the list. it seems to me
>that there is a need and a market for a Newton configuration service.
>When someone buys a Newton, they may want to have a place to send it to
>so that it can be configured as they want it, WiFi, Bluetooth, Internet
>access, etc.

This is a great idea. My biggest worry would be sending my precious
Newt off into the tender mercies of the postal services! :-)

Until then, a half-way house would be a set of boiled-down
instructions for getting different things working. I know this can be
a bit complex, as it seems there's a lot of product-specific detail
involved with things such as different WiFi cards.

Actually, that's a case in point for me. I have a 3Com Ethernet card
(thanks Woody, it arrived safe and sound!) and I have it working on
my wired network at home both for network printer and Internet access.
(When I get a bit of time I'll go back over exactly what was done and
document it for others to use.)

I also have an Intel WiFi card, the PRO/Wireless 2011 LAN PC Card,
and although I've gone through the steps as far as I can tell, I
can't get it to connect to my AirPort (old-style .11b only) network.
The card is recognised, the SSID is correct, I've tried with DHCP and
with manual settings, but I can't see the network printer or get
online.

Does anyone here have the same card, know of a detailed online guide,
or have any other thoughts?