Re: [NTLK] Newton and OS X

From: Indigo Kelleigh (indigo_at_circleweave.com)
Date: Tue Jul 27 2004 - 14:17:46 PDT

On 7/27/04 9:19 AM, "Rick Scalzo" <rick_at_webcentrix.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have just purchased my first Newton and am looking forward to using it
> everyday. I am wondering if anyone has tackled the issue of syncing it
> to Mac OS X. I have an iMac(flatpanel). Any suggestions or can you point
> me in the right direction.
>
> Rick

Hey, rick,

Here's how I sync my eMate to my OS 10.3 g5:

To load packages, I use a Keyspan twin serial sub adapter and Newten
software. The only thing the software does is install packages, and that's
okay.

For syncing my Address Book and iCal with the Dates and Names apps, I again
use the serial->usb adapter and NewtSync software.

And for doing backups, I use an ethernet card with the Newton Connection
utilities app in Classic. I only use this setup for doing backups, because
getting classic doesn't seem to be able to use the serial->usb adapter
properly, and even getting the Appletalk network to work right over ethernet
is kind of tricky, so it's a lot of wrangling to make it happen.

I may not be doing this all the best way, but it works for me. If anyone has
any suggestions for how I could improve my process, I'd gladly hear them!

-indy

Indigo Kelleigh
Illustrator-at-Large
503.233.9922