Re: [NTLK] Hi from an old developer

From: Paul R Potts (paul_at_thepottshouse.org)
Date: Sun Jul 25 2004 - 21:52:47 PDT

On 25 Jul 2004, at 22:39, Pete Yandell wrote:

> So are there any other developers from the early days floating around
> here? I have fond memories of the first Newton developers conference
> and all the weird and wonderful people that it attracted.
>
> Pete Yandell

Hi, Pete!

I also have just joined this list. I attended the Newton launch event in
Boston, bought the NTK and MessagePads that day, and had written my
first
Newton program (using a PowerBook) by the time we got the van back to
Ann Arbor. Mike Nowak and I were responsible for setting up the
comp.sys.newton newsgroups, and I wrote the first online Newton FAQ.

I was fortunate enough to meet many members of the Newton team and
even got a tour of the Newton group's digs at Apple courtesy of Kent
Sandvik. I was back out for successive developer events.

I worked on the inFielder crop records system at Pharos technologies,
completed various one-off prototypes and spec projects which never got
off the ground, and developed a survey data-collection engine for the
University of Michigan's Health Media Research Lab. I'm not responsible
for any of the commercial software for the Newton, but was active
on the newsgroups and wrote a few articles for PIE Developer, including
one on using the Newton's IR port as a remote control.

I no longer have a Newton, but I still love the platform. I am a sucker
for abandoned Apple technologies, I guess... I'm still programming in
Dylan, too. I was surprised to see the mention in Slashdot of the
upcoming
conference. I won't be able to attend, being unemployed and broke at the
moment, but decided to sign up and see what was going on here.

Paul

-----
"History needs shepherds, not butchers." -Lu-Tze, _Thief of Time_, by
Terry Pratchett
Paul R. Potts | paul_at_thepottshouse.org | http://thepottshouse.org