Re: [NTLK] Newbie introduces himself

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Thu Jul 22 2004 - 12:45:40 PDT

On Jul 22, 2004, at 2:22 AM, Martin Howard wrote:

> <snip>

Welcome!
> My main reason for getting the Newton is wireless connectivity. From
> what I can understand of FAQs, link collections, and tutorials, it
> supports both Bluetooth and 802.11b (WiFi) via PCMCIA expansion cards,
> both of which are, for me and my purposes, absolutely necessary in a
> PDA. I plan to use it as a lightweight, always accessible WWW "access
> point", in addition to an always available, portable IRC client. (BTW,
> has anyone written an AIM client for the Newton?)

The WWW function currently available on the Newton has some
limitations, especially with regards to SSL and JAVA...

Hope this doesn't turn out to be a problem for you.
> I'll probably not
> use the PIM that much, unless it they work with iSync -- given what I'm
> finding these days, I wouldn't be too surprised if some enterprising
> individual has hacked together a patch for that too!
There are several, as yet incomplete/in progress methods for syncing
with OSX address book (newtsync,escale).

> Which leads me to the aforementioned request for information. I've
> read the FAQs, and followed the links, but I'm still pretty unsure of
> exactly *which* PCMCIA WiFi and Bluetooth cards work. The WiFi doesn't
> seem to have been updated in two years and I know from recent
> experience of trying to find an 802.11b card for an HP OmniBook 800CT
> that I installed Red Hat on that two years is a long time. These days,
> it difficult to find an 802.11b... they're all the faster 11g standard
> it seems.
As the previous poster said, ebay will work, or in SF I am sure you
probably kind find an older card in a used computer store. I paid $59
for the lucent wavelan gold card 3 years ago in such a shop...

> The same goes for Bluetooth. The Blunt page has no timestamp/date on
> it. The one card that is mentioned as working (PICO Bluetooth PCMCIA
> card) doesn't seem to be available anywhere (for laughs, Froogle "PICO
> Bluetooth PCMCIA card" -- I smell an Expansys/Siemens conspiracy! Don
> your aluminium beanies!) In fact, the only bluetooth cards I seem to
> be able to find on the market are those explicitly mentioned on the
> Blunt homepage as *not* being compatible with the Newton.

The Ambicom compact flash BT adapter is supported in two forms (purple
and black antennas). I bought the purple antenna card at compusa
($75). Works pretty well for data exchange with the powerbook and GPRS
internet works but is not reliable.

Again, Welcome,
Marty