[NTLK] Hello! And a few questions

From: Dan Mills (vthunder_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sun Jul 18 2004 - 20:55:20 PDT

Hello!

Pleased to meet you all. I recently acquired my first Newton (a 2100)
and I'm liking it a lot!

I do have a few questions.. and I'm sure that all of them have answers
out there, but unfortunately I'm finding a _lot_ of dead links on the
web.

Let's see... first, I got my wavelan card sort of working with the
Newton, but it doesn't work very well. Maybe I have something
configured wrong, I'm not sure. I can't get Escale to work at all
(I'm only trying TCP/IP, with or without zeroconf). So for the time
being, I setup windows on a PC--it's the only machine I have that has
a serial port (!). Any tips on what to look for would be good. I am
used to having ping/traceroute/etc at my disposal, so I feel somewhat
lost on the Newton. I did get NewtsCape working (very, very slowly),
but now it claims my eval period expired. Feh.

Second, I am studying Japanese. I'm just a beginner for the time
being, but I'd like to try out some of the Japanese software for the
newton. This has taken me to a lot of dead links, and some which I
can't really read (yet). But I managed to get some kana/kanji fonts
on the Newton, and I can write kana by writing in roman and hitting a
conversion button (on TapBar). However, the following still don't
work:

* Japanese apps apparently assume the system font contains the
japanese glyphs, which on my Newton is not true. I'd like to know how
to change the system font so these apps can display correctly.

* Kana -> Kanji conversion requires an extra dictionary, which I don't
have. I read that the two options are "Jisyo" (ha), which is free,
and one from UniFEP, which is commercial. The commercial one is made
by Enfour, and from their page I see that they have several other
Japanese solutions for the Newton. However, all are pretty expensive.
Just the dictionary would be more than I paid for the Newton ($100).
And I can't find the free one anywhere--just broken links to it.

* Writing uses my English dictionary. Because the method is to write
in romaji and then convert to kana (and then to kanji), the Newton is
trying to use the English dictionary for the romaji. So I have to
write *really* carefully. Ideally there would be a better way to do
this? Either a romaji dictionary I can swap in for writing Japanese,
or a different input method altogether (I tried one called "pencil",
but it kinda sucks).

Ok! Sorry for the long post. Thanks for any pointers you can give me :-)

-Dan