Re: [NTLK] Thank you!

From: George Bingham (georgeb1962_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jul 13 2004 - 12:59:59 PDT

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 12:19:11 -0700, Andrew C.Rempt <acrempt_at_cox.net> wrote:
> Sorry, but a few more questions from some one else thinking about the
> board.
>
> > It's very easy actually, look over Frank's excellent take apart, even
> > though it goes way further then you need to...
>
> But where does one need to stop? Also, where does the board go and how
> easily does it go in? Does it need to be soldered, or are there obvious
> connections?
>
> And when rebuilding the case, is there anything to watch out for now
> that the board is in?
>
> I would love to hear what anyone has to say on this.

Hi Andrew,

     I added a SER-001 board to my Newton, and I was very unsure about
opening it up, so I went to a fellow lister's house who had done it
many times and he was kind enough to walk me through it live (Thanks
Paul!). Anyway, it was easy enough, but intimidating to open a Newton
for the first time, as after you remove each of the screws, you have
to pry it open pretty firmly. It feels like you're going to break
something! And then when you do get it open, the sound it makes as it
seperates SOUNDS like you've broken something!

     Anyway, once you've seperated the back cover from the Newton,
that's about all you have to do to add in the SER-001 board, as it
plugs into a spot on the side of the logic board that's on top (with
the unit glass face down). (You do have to remove the plastic spacer
adjacent to the spot where the dongle connects for the plug to be
accessable, but that's easy).

     The board plugs right in, like the Newton was missing it all this
time (apparently there was going to be a built in modem that would
have occupied that plug?).

     Some have reported that after they've installed the SER-001 board
and closed the case, that there is a "lump" on the back where the
plastic is strained. I am thinking they maybe didn't get the board
plugged in as far as it'll go, or else something else is wrong,
because with mine, I don't seem to have that problem at all. But this
could be important, because some cases have become cracked over time
possibly because of this.

     I would say if after installing it and examining the back of the
case carefully (be sure to examine it carefully before hand as well so
you can see if there's any difference) you see a buldge or "swelling"
near the added board, then open it back up and make sure you have the
board plugged in as far as it'll go... and if so, and you're in doubt,
take it out.

HTH...

George