Re: [NTLK] newton questions

From: Patrick Jendraszak (indyibook_at_insightbb.com)
Date: Sat Jul 10 2004 - 13:59:37 PDT

Vincent:

Welcome to the Newton! I hope that you have a great time with our little
green friend!! I've tried to answer your questions below ...

> 1. How do i turn the newton off?

The switch on the left side of the Newton turns it off and on. Unlike a
desktop computer, it essentially "sleeps" whenever you turn it off. Or,
perhaps a better description would be that it is "instant on" wherever you
left off.

> 2.Is there any routine matinence i need to do? Like on a mac thety
> recoment that you zap the pram and rebuild the desktop once a month.

I've never been aware of any needed maintenance, although list members may
jump in here. I've seen discussions on the list about restoring files, but
it appears that even fragmentation (like on a desktop computer) is not a
real issue here.

> 3.Can i zap the pram on a newton

As far as I know, there is nothing identical to zapping the pram. On a Mac,
that resets certain factory parameters and items like date and time. When
you reset the Newton, those things remain intact. If you do a "brain wipe"
(perhaps a quick look at the archive will show further articles on this),
you lose all the data on the Newton, but have it brought back to a "factory
condition", if you will. So, as you can see, these two things are not quite
like a pram zapping.

> 4.Can i restart the newton with out pressing the reset swithch?

There are add on applications, like Dashboard, that have a reset function so
that you don't have to press the reset button.

> 5.Should i restart the newton every now and then like you should do
> on a regualr computer?

I can just answer for myself. I don't.

> 6.how do most people fix common problems with the newton? Like on a
> mac the first thing a person will tell you to to is zap the pram and
> rebuild the desktop.

Generally, the first step is a reset. The next step for me is to look at the
Newton FAQ.

Welcome to the world of Newton!

--
Patrick Jendraszak