Re: [NTLK] newton web browser

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Fri Jul 09 2004 - 16:50:51 PDT

>Hi i have a newton and i don't have a web browser for it. I went to
>some web pages and found some great ones. Can some one recomend me a
>specific web browser though. I just want it to support java script
>modern html code and pictures. Mainly what internet explorer and
>netscape do. I also want to be able to bookmark pages.

Well what you ask is not a small order. First java, while you "can" do it,
I doubt it will be fast enough to be useable, of course the depends what
what script you are running. As for modern html code and pictures, well
there are two choices. The first is Newtscape, the second is Luna Suite.
The Luna Suite is VERY buggy though and crashes very frequently. So it will
work if you want to put up with constant resets. Personally I would use
Newtscape. Most people skip the pictures when surfing with a Newt just
because it takes a lot of extra time to download and decode the pics. And
if you are on battery power you want to be on and off as fast as you can
when online (modems eat batteries FAST).

If you want a fast browser that does not have picture/image ability try
Courier at http://40hz.org/Courier/

Oh another option is Net Hopper, however it is older and needs to be patched
so it can use virtual hosts. The patch is at
http://dev.newtontalk.net/~dpadilla/progs.htm but I think that there are
still some pages it can't handle....but can't remember the details at the
moment.

-Dan