Re: [NTLK] newton with no serial port

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Fri Jul 09 2004 - 07:31:44 PDT

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 10:14:51AM -0400, Vincent Juliano wrote:
> Hi i have a newton 2000 upgraded to a newton 2100. It works great.
> The only problem s that it dosn't have a serial port. Right where it
> should be under the flap next to the infared port there is a plastic
> cover. It is not a removable plastic cover. The persion i bought it
> from said that the port was an option and he didn't get it.

The person is confused. The plastic cover over the square hole next *is*
removable, if you open the Newton, and can be used for a serial port if
you buy a SER-001 board from David Humphreys, who posted earlier today.

The thin connector with the metal shroud between that covered hole and
the power plug is ALSO a serial connector (among other things). Find an
accessory referred to as a "dongle" to plug into that, and it will have
a normal DIN-8 connector on the other side.

> Does any one know how i can add one?

See above. You've got one, or you can add a more standard one.

> If not how can i sincronize it with my powerbook?

Ethernet.

--
58. If it becomes necessary to escape, I will never stop to pose dramatically
    and toss off a one-liner.