Re: [NTLK] 2100s and upgrades, Bluetooth

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Wed Jul 07 2004 - 13:50:53 PDT

On Jul 7, 2004, at 5:27 AM, Richard Kilpatrick wrote:

> I'm so bad. I just agreed to buy myself another 2100 - this time a non
> upgraded one ;)
I kind of love my old war horse, upgraded 2000. It's shocking to
compare to a "nearly new" condition Newton.

> One of the people I've converted got a machine sans dongle, and
> therefore cannot get stuff onto it (though I keep suggesting he uses Ir
> and his Powerbook 1400CS) - I'm considering the SER001.

He would need to use the OS9 DIL thing from Thomas Templeton (IIR).
> However, there are occasional mentions of internal bluetooth in
> development. What sort of chance is there that this would be made in a
> format similar to SER001? I would definitely have one (as long as it
> wasn't so expensive as to be silly), I know that the Newton 2100
> converts I'm responsible for would want one - surely /everyone/ would
> want one really!

Actually I kind of like the ambicom compact flash card I am using for
BT. I also have the SER-001 installed which allows me to hook to
serial stuff (like hammer) and my camera for tibet...

This is kind of a good setup for me. I used to think the internal
bluetooth was ideal, but the CF card is pretty rocking also. It
doesn't stick out nearly as much as my WIFI card, so I can leave it in
as a default (I used to have x-jack modem as a default),

It (the purple antenna Ambicom CF card) also doesn't use much power,
which is sweet.

You still need to install Bluetooth drivers + though(www.40hz.org)...
Borrowing a dongle for the setup of an ethernet or WIFI or BT is
probably the best bet.

Marty