Re: [NTLK] Hammering the Newton

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Tue Jul 06 2004 - 04:48:21 PDT

Aux environs du 6/07/04 à 20:35 +1000, sous le titre "[NTLK]
Hammering the Newton", Joel Pigdon prit sa plus belle plume pour
écrire les mots suivants:
>Hi,
>I am starting to become interested in Newton Development and have had
>NTK connecting through etherTalk. Hammer it seems, does not seem
>capable of connecting through the ethernet.

Indeed.
However, please note that Hammer is only useful for native code
development and that no real NewtonOS program can be done without
writing several lines of NewtonScript.

>How do other people out
>there connect there computers to hammer. Is it worth buying an ancient
>Mac just for the serial ports or can I use a USB to serial adapter with
>my powerbook and hammer. What are peoples development/debugging setups?

I do use a Keyspan USB converter on a PB 15" Ti. I have drivers for
it for both Classic and MacOS X installed and it works pretty well. I
very rarely have to reboot Classic. Instead, I just unplug the
adapter and replug it (of course, I make sure that the serial ports
are not used by both a native and a Classic application).

Hammer is buggy, but it's more tolerable in Classic.

Paul

--
Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.
NPDS/NewtonOS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/