Re: [NTLK] Zero Configuration Networking (Zeroconf)/Rendezvous

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Sat Jul 03 2004 - 05:43:29 PDT

>Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 11:20:11 +0200
>From: Paul Guyot <pguyot_at_kallisys.net>
>Subject: Re: [NTLK] Zero Configuration Networking (Zeroconf)/Rendezvous
>
>Aux environs du 2/07/04 à 8:34 +0200, sous le titre "[NTLK] Zero
>Configuration Networking (Zeroconf)/Rendezv", DJ Vollkasko prit sa
>plus belle plume pour écrire les mots suivants:
> >On above website Apple publishes the source code (also executable for
> >PocketPCs); here http://developer.apple.com/macosx/rendezvous Apple has
> >code and executables for Windows 2000, Windows XP, Java, Linux, Solaris,
> >FreeBSD,
>
>multicast dns was available on the Newton before PocketPC.
>In fact, AFAIK, there are three implementations of mdns:
>- Apple's mDNSResponder
>- JmDNS (previously known as Jrendezvous), the first Java implementation
>- DCL's Dock TCP/IP extension (now exports the mDNS APIs to any third
>party application, and with latest NIE Patch, you can resolve .local
>names transparently).
>
>There is some special version of Courier that does some _http browsing.
>
> >I believe this Zeroconf technology will spread thanks to this relabeling by
> >Apple. Think of Quicktime - it's by Apple, and it's everywhere, and it's
> >just a *player*. This is going to be much more massive and useful, esp.
> >with wireless networking via Wifi and Bluetooth and all that good stuff.
> >Tivo, HP, Lexmark, Epson and Brother are already announcing
> >Rendezvous-compatible products, e.g. zero-configuration shared printers.
>
>I've been working with Rendezvous for months now, for both Newton and
>non-Newton projects (mainly my PhD research). Rendezvous has a lot of
>advantages, but also a lot of limits.

Does it also hold promises for us? I think a cross-platform standard in the
connectivity area would be very sweet... Running on all kinds of desktops
and our green buddies would rock, wouldn't it?

>Among these are:
>- MacOS X networking stack isn't very friendly (the fact that the
>interface is shut down immediatly when nothing is connected makes
>Rendezvous WiFi exchanges between two macs difficult)
>- it makes some bits of networking easy but too many bits are
>difficult (and sometimes aggravated by Apple's own hardware/choices).
>Maybe IPv6 will change this.
>- the most widespread implementation is Apple's which means that
>Apple can make implementation choices that become de facto standard
>without being discussed or whatever. My opinion is that very often
>these choices are poor because they focus on a very simple use of the
>technology.

Admitted, but the news seems to be they not only made the code accessible,
but also the whole thing open source, or did I get this wrong? So if
there's development in Rendezvous stating for all kind of platforms, how
does MacOS's network stack impact e.g. a Windows, Linux or Newton user?

>- Apple's mDNSResponder daemon/client architecture suffers from a lot
>of design problems.

Well, making it public might amend some things... Hoepfully.

> >It would seem to me as a good idea to get this technology onto the Newton,
> >too, if only via a Waba adaptation of the Java Code. What do you think?
>
>Apple's Java interface is just a wrapper around their native code.

Hmh, wouldn't this wrappe be implementable in Waba?

>Additionally, Zeroconf is three-layered with at the bottom LocalLink
>which isn't available on the Newton (another source of problems for
>us).

Okay, you kung fu is better than my kung fu as concerns these matters, so I
take it this whole thing is of no value for us? I was hoping it could be
beneficial for DCL and the multiplatformability of DCL. But what do I know.
No offense meant, Paul et al!

Sincerely,

D. Vollkasko