[NTLK] Lids first, pls! (was Re: AW: Frozen Newton Project Rebirth)

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Fri Jul 02 2004 - 02:05:04 PDT

>Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 10:59:44 +0200
>From: Douglas Augustyn <six5535_at_gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [NTLK] AW: Frozen Newton Project Rebirth
>
>On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:55:20 +0200, Isaac <newton_at_spymac.com> wrote:
> > What about reducing it in the very first run to the lid only? The lid
> always
> > breaks at the hinges or tilt parts and I would really like to buy about
> > 1...3 transparent lids. And maybe the number of orders for lids only is
> > anyway higher than for whole case sets and thus the manufacturing would pay
> > better. Beside that the lid is easier to produce because of its simpler
> form.
>
>That'd be a good idea. That way we can get a feel for the quality of
>the manufactured parts. But I'd still like to have the entire case
>clear, if it's at all possible.

I second that -- what a brilliant idea, Isaac!

The demand of lids could be three to four times at least that of the whole
case, as many people need to replace broken or missing lids, or want to add
some cool to their Newt w/o going through the full disassembly or
trade-in-process motions (and expenses!).

Sonny, if you could offer the lid at the price other mailorders do offer
the normal lids for (US $ 25,--, I faintly remember), but include
(international) postage with this, this offer would go down really well and
maybe generate even some funds for the full case moulding. Plus you'd gain
the experience needed to successfully tackle the larger objective, gain
trust in your manufacturer and a good understanding of how they work, and
manage to split the whole project into better manageable sub-projects.
Maybe GEM Enterprise and J & K Sales would even commission a bunch of lids,
besides us NTLKers.

And maybe if you do the lids first they could be available in time for the
Paris Convention, so whoever lugs Frank's deadMates over there could also
mule the lids to save postage... What do you say, does this all make sense
to you?

Finest regards,

D. Vollkasko