[NTLK] All fine. / Newton First Aid Kit(TM) [was Re: More fun: Dead Extras index. How about

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Fri Jan 30 2004 - 12:30:40 PST

Okay, this is the situation now: All is well.

I'll go into some detail here (boring stuff, actually) to maybe help some
other Newbies with like issues -

The Adventure of Error -48013 (Soup error "Soup index does not exist" -
Extras doesn't open)

1. I switch my Newton on and insert my 2 MB Newton First Aid Kit(TM)-card
(more below). Automagically, DataRescue starts, which isn't wanted now, so
I close it.
2. Using the open storage card slip, I backup the internal store to the
card (which is why it's not so much fun to use a card that's not at least
500 KB larger than your total internal store for this) - Safety First!
After the backup I turn my Newton off and unlock the card.
3. Lock card, turn Newton on. The card slip comes up, DataRescue starts
and automagically connects to a waiting NBU on my desktop, through which I
pull a full backup of both internal and First Aid Kit card stores - Safety
First!, Pt. II: Curse of Murphy. (Nice that stores with corrupted indizes
can still be backed up. ;=})
4. After the backup, install IndexFixer.
5. It runs immediately after install. When it's done, it tells me that it
found corrupted indezes (sic) and fixed them already.
6. A tap on Extras opens the Extras folder, which now can be browsed again.
Note that packages aren't activated. A reboot will change that, also you
can activate anything you need right away by simply tapping on it.
7. Done.

Sweet? For me, yes. ;=}

Only thing I don't want is IndexFixer to start running all by itself *every
single time* I enter my original Newton First Aid Kit(TM) card. Let me
see... Maybe if I put a freeze util on to the card and freeze IndexFixer?
But how would I unfreeze it if I couldn't open Extras because of a
corrupted index - any better ideas?

The Adventure of the Storage Card (aka rash! Reboot! Crash! Reboot! Crash!
Reboot!)

I've rebooted my Newton and deleted the card. I did a backup of this card
two nights ago before I installed the new software which I wanted to test
(which crashed with a -48813 error, which got me to install BugTrap, which
got my Newton to go Crash! Reboot! Crash! Reboot! Crash! Reboot!, which
boiled my soup, which...).
    I restored the backup, rebooted as instructed, then did a deep reset
(see http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/newton-faq-nos.html#IIIB2b) after
getting some small hiccups, and installed the couple items I'd installed
since then (which went pretty quick, as I followed a tip I got on this list
- a separate folder on my desktop where I put stuff I want to install; this
way, I can batch-install easily). I won't install the new software and I
won't install Bugtrap until I have a clearer idea why Bugtrap wrecked my
Newton (aka probably never); any comments appreciated.

So all is well here besides one thing - I had all packages of an
application frozen as a set and created a "link" that would thaw them all
and start the core package of that app (hello ICS NewtCase - luv ya!).
These niceties seem to have been lost in the backup, apparently it just
backups packages as-is, and doesn't care about frozen or not.

Oh, and another thing - my internal store seems to be much larger than the
added sizes of all items that show up in Extras suggest.
    Q: Any pretty way to compact/defrag the internal store, like forcing a
garbage collection or flushing the transaction queue? - This one ain't
convincing, it sounds more theological than technical ;=}: "Finally,
defragmenting can be done by doing a full backup, erasing all data and
restoring the backup. Since backups never hurt, defragmenting cannot hurt.
Whether it helps getting some bytes back/improving speed depends on your
belief." [http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/newton-faq-nos.html#IIIB9]

The Adventure of the Newton First Aid Kit(TM)

Take a blank storage card that's at least 500 KB larger than your internal
store (for MP 1x0, 2 MB does the job nicely) and put the following stuff on it:

CurWatch
DataRescue
Index Fixer (for NOS 2.0 only, I believe)
NewtTest (plus NewtTest Help)

- any other recommendations? How about NamesFixer? (I've asked before + got
no feedback on additional helpful packages, otherwise IndexFixer might
already have been part of my nFAK.)

Cheers,

DJV.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html