[NTLK] Fun with "Reset With Extensions Off" [was Re: Crash! Reboot! Crash! Reboot! Crash! Reboot! - Slightly irritating, folks...]

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Fri Jan 30 2004 - 03:49:54 PST

>It's in the FAQ somewhere. You can disable ALL packages (internal +
>external) by pressing your pen on certain places of the display while
>booting. That should do the trick.

Thanks, Jochen! Forgot to write that I'd actually tried that, but got one
dialogue box. Anyhow, I managed to disable all internal stuff last night,
but when the card had finished loading - Crash! Reboot! Crash! Reboot!
Crash! Reboot!

So, back to FAQ. Let's see - here ("

Reset With Extensions Off

" http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/newton-faq-nos.html#IIIB2c) it says:

"To perform a reset with extensions off, hit the reset button, on the back
of the Newton and then flip the Newton over so the screen is facing you, as
for normal usage. Immediately hold the pen down halfway down the left edge
of the screen, about a centimeter from the casing, down the screen. Keep
holding the pen there, and soon a dialog box will appear asking if you'd
like to activate packages on the store "Internal". Answer "no." If you have
any PC cards installed, return the pen to the left edge and keep holding it
down. You'll then get the same dialog for each card. Answer "no" to each.
Your Newton now is restarted with no packages loaded."

Praise the FAQ, and try it by the handbook again.

Result: I'd set the card disbling switch on "locked" and hit reset. Then I
tapped the right spot. Presto - boxo dialogo! Disabled the internal store
(like I did before). Tapped the same spot again ('xactly like I *didn't* do
before ;=} ). Nada - the Newton ignored my pleas, no new slip, the Newton
rightaway activates the stuff on the card and goes back to Crash! Reboot!
Crash! Reboot! Crash! Reboot!

Any other suggestions?

DJV.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html