Re: [NTLK] Didn't Philips used to have a good relationship with Apple?

From: David M. Ensteness (denstene_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Jan 28 2004 - 12:10:23 PST

Well, there are a couple things to consider.

After Jobs took over Apple he tried to buy Palm ... twice. Later he
said of both PDAs and tablet PCs that they were pretty worthless. He
has made jokes about Apple getting basically nothing out of the Newton.

So there are two odd things.

The Newton was Scully's adopted baby, and Jobs did axe it. But he also
axed everything non-Mac outside of displays. Printers, cameras,
scanners, Newtons, it all went.

The Newton division was just starting to turn a profit, but Apple was
bleeding all over, it made sense to cancel the division from a business
standpoint.

Also, there is not much of Newton in the Apple Knowledge Base, nor is
there much from NeXT there, however, PowerComputing articles are
included ... odd mix. I figure its a mix of necessity and politics.

David

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html