Re: [NTLK] ot network admin software--thanks

From: mimi (mimi.cipollone_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Tue Jan 27 2004 - 04:47:06 PST

thanks for the clues guys

the toronto school board has some sort of remote control thing going on
already, enterprise helpdesk
(140,000 students...it's big!)

so we're talking abt our little local school, but still, 700 ish students
plus lab plus library

there is a board image for computers
it's day to day (or year to year maintenance) and changing software needs,
for the things not included board wide

the i.t. teacher by default is the network admin--
he gets to do report cards too, and it ain't easy...
and neither he nor i knows much abt networks, except it's out there...
the board someday is going to put in sep password prot folders for each
student/employee, so we don't have files all over the place like now

we're definitely a win environment
with a few macs

we also have a 120gb hard drive sitting waiting for use
i don't think we have a local server...we can't see the 2d floor from the
basement lab for example--when i look at explore network, there's no central
point, only 3 nodes on a branch from the central board computer system....

will check out some of the stuff, and ask my it teacher (in his spare time!)

p.s. my room's in the basement, i'm a troglodyte!!!, old definition
..underground cave dweller, new definition...a curmugeon who clings to
obsolescent computer equipment....

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html