Re: [NTLK] Opening of the Tucson Apple Store

From: David M. Ensteness (denstene_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Jan 26 2004 - 17:15:42 PST

>>> All of the stylewriters and laserwriters were made by canon, the same
>>> models
>>> were also made for hp as well as for canon themselves.
>>
>> The StyleWriters were designed by Apple and manufactured by Canon,
> Designed by Apple? Hardly. The only difference from the plain vanilla
> canon is the plastic and the button arrangement. This printer was 99%
> designed by canon and apple simply tweaked the buttons/LED/Firmware.

Not really a fair assessment. "Tweaking" of Firmware and moving around
the ports, type of ports [which does require chipset changes], changing
of buttons [which will also require a change of functionality on the
interface board for them], is design work. You can minimize it all you
want, but Apple did spend money and time on it. Not exactly 1%.

>> the LaserWriters were designed by Apple and manufactured by HP using
>> a mix
>> of Canon [like the 16/600] and Xerox [like the 8500] engines. All were
>> Apple branded.
> Again, all of the earlier Apple lasers were canons, as were the HPs.

Earlier being which exactly? Apple had a laser contract with HP, not
with Canon, the engines were predominately bought from Canon but when
doing repairs there are differences between the Apple models and the HP
models so as much as they are alike, they are not the same as in
identical. As for my mention that Apple designed the LaserWriter series
... well, HP counterparts, while using the vast majority of the same
technology and parts, sold in entirely different cases. Also many HPs
had different feature sets ... you see many LaserWriters with IR ports?
Things like that do require chipsets and such on the logic board to
support them and to my knowledge you can't just remove a chipset
without doing some design work.

In later model printers [ie after '95-96] HP stopped using
predominately Canon engines and used Xerox and Fuji engines.

David

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html