Re: [NTLK] all the Newton variants

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Sun Jan 25 2004 - 23:46:52 PST

on 1/26/04 12:28 AM, Len Cole at leonard.cole_at_verizon.net wrote:

> My curiosity stemmed from my observation that the majority of topics seem to
> be limited to NOS 2.1 (not that I object, since it's all information which can
> be used at some time or another), and I thought it would be nice to get an
> updated idea of how many are still using the older models on a regular basis.

I can think of a few reasons why this is...

Most of the newest developments since the demise of the Newton--ethernet,
wireless, MP3 playing, BlueTooth--only work on 2.1 devices. Since these are
not really fully developed, and are the result of fandom efforts, they tend
to generate the most traffic.

Another reason is probably the fact that in the past year or so, an enormous
quantity of 2K devices were liquidated from some firms that had thousands of
these, and who dumped them due to tax depreciation. This, I believe, caused
a lot of people to upgrade to 2.1 devices. I know that I bought one then.
:-) This means a flood of people on this list upgrading...

So, between the two above reasons, I can understand the preponderance of
traffic on this list concerning NOS 2.1 vs older operating systems... Oh,
another reason is that most problems with the older systems have been hashed
over many times, and the solutions are simple, one post replies. :-)

HTH... Intriguing question...

BTW, I have a 2100 for myself, and two 120s that my children use.

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland