Re: [NTLK] my comments to a TabletPC review

From: Len Cole (leonard.cole_at_verizon.net)
Date: Sun Jan 25 2004 - 17:44:06 PST

It's one thing to make "advances" in interface design from one version to the next, but there's no excuse for deploying (otherwise) identical workstations having the same OS but having different keyboard shortcuts, i.e., Alt-F-N for new folder on one machine and Alt-F-F (for example) for the same function on a machine sitting right next to the first.

It's been a good while since I had to use those PCs, but the bad taste still reamins in my mouth. Even sadder, these workstations were in a US government facility. :-(

I will give Windows the same credit that I give Mac, and that is the interface has remained recognizable rather than going off on a completely different path (before OS X, that is, though the past still remains with it, too).

Neither Microsoft nor Apple are perfect when it comes to their OS interfaces. IMHO Microsoft's menu structure is far too byzantine and Apple's pre-OS X Finders lack some very useful features which would make for near total hands-on control of the Mac. There are things which you should be able to do from the keyboard which you simply cannot do (and not have to rely on a third party extension).

Anyone who has ever used GS/OS 6.0.1 will know what I'm talking about.