Re: [NTLK] Problem with WiFi

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Fri Jan 23 2004 - 08:39:12 PST

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 07:31:31AM -0800, Newtopia wrote:
> Here's a simple action, turn off SSID broadcast. In the same vane,
> those who are intent on breaking in will find this through sniffing,
> your neighbor will never know you're even running a WiFi to begin
> with... The other day I had to hard reset my router and forgot to
> reconfigure it because of my haste, then went to connect and couldn't
> see my SSID, mainly because I didn't define it yet. So I logged in to
> configure and decided to leave the SSID as default and turn off the
> broadcast of the SSID, and what do you know - no see it.

Doing this also requires that you configure the wireless LAN in "ad-hoc
mode" instead of "infrastructure mode". This can cause other problems,
such as (but not limited to) breaking the ability to roam from one
access point to another. That's probably not a problem for a home
network, but it's something to weigh carefully for securing a larger
installation like a moderate-sized office space.

--
27. I will never build only one of anything important. All important systems
    will have redundant control panels and power supplies. For the same reason