Re: [NTLK] Wireless Sniffer

From: Stac (stacey_at_tenen.org)
Date: Thu Jan 22 2004 - 14:55:07 PST

Hello Everyone -

Well, I thought I could keep a low profile for a while, but this subject
is bringing me out of the closet... just let me say hello to my friends
once
again in the Newton Community (and the Newted Community - special
hello to Grant) - I'm back in the fold.

Now - as I understood it, the TCP stack for the Newton is limited. Not
all the
functionality of other TCP stacks is built into the newton (for obvious
reasons) and
I've been told that even ICMP packets aren't able to be generated from
a Newton.

Given that I also assumed that the Newton would never talk ATA because
of OS
limitations (proved happily wrong on that matter) - it's certainly
possible, but, perhaps
not practical. I'm a network engineer by trade, and nothing would make
me more happy
than to be able to ping, trace, sniff and administer (via SSH), and,
I'd gladly pay for the
functionality, it's certainly up to the Kallisys guys or Eckert to
decide that it's a priority for them
and we'll all celebrate.

Peace,
Stacey Tenen