[NTLK] Newton and BlueTooth--why?

From: Haywood Floyd (haywoodfloyd_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 17:14:36 PST

Original Message
-=-=-

Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 12:23:32 -0800
Subject: [NTLK] Newton and BlueTooth--why?
From: John Osborne <tooz_at_oceanatlas.com>

There has been a fair amount of discussion of
developing a BlueTooth product (heck there's been so
much traffic on this list that I can barely keep up).
I have a USB BT module in my old iMac talking to an
Apple BT keyboard (works great, less wiring ;) What
does a theoretical BT capability for the Newton get
me that isn't solved by other forms of connection
(serial, tcp/ip (wired and unwired))? I doubt my BT
keyboard would work with the Newton because there
doesn't exist the appropriate driver on the Newton.
I'm mainly trying to get my mind around this
discussion since I have a very minimal knowledge of
BT. I'm sure a BT capability for the Newton would be
cool technically, but does it solve any particular
communication problems?TIA

oz

-=-=-

I can think of a few useful answers

(1) Synch of info with BT mobile phones. Even just v
cards would be useful;
(2) When 802.11b hotspots are not available, most GSM
mobile phones include GPRS modems;
(3) BT Mouse;
(4) Low BT power consumption.

Beuller, Bueller … anyone?