Re: [NTLK] Interesting observation on Newton books

From: mikeobrien_at_spamcop.net
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 19:26:01 PST

Ed Kummel sez:

> So, does this mean that the Newt holds book marks
> automatically for ALL books? And if I delete the book,
> will the bookmarks for the book be deleted also? Or
> will I need to go through the soup eventually and
> manually remove these other book entries?

To which Nathan Turnage replies:

> No, it holds a bookmark for the reader. If you had opened another book
> with the same reader (can't for the life of me think of the name of it),
> it would have lost your place, unless, I think, you had manually marked
> the page yourself. Anyone have a better explanation?

I'm not sure what the book reader is called internally, but the information
about where you are in a book, together with which pages you've bookmarked,
and any line-drawing annotations you've made to the book, are kept in the
"Library" soup. This soup maintains entries for the last ten books
removed from the Newt, as well as all books still present.

The soup entry for an "absent" book looks quite different from the entry
for a book that's still on the Newt, and this information is used by
the global "Find" option to be able to tell which books are present for
searching and which are not really there. Occasionally such an entry
will get messed up, and you will find a Library soup entry in "present"
form for a book that has been deleted. When this happens, global "Find"
throws an error. In this case you either delete the Library soup together
with all bookmarks, or use a soup editor to "spot the looney" and delete
the offending entry.

YOU HAVE NO IDEA how long it took me to work this out!!!

It's happened to me a couple of times. The second time went A LOT
faster than the first.

Mike O'Brien

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html