Re: [NTLK] New to the group with questions

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 16:41:54 PST

on 20/01/04 18:35, Bret Feinblatt at bafein_at_mac.com wrote:

> Hi - I'm a bit new to this site. I've had a Newton 2000 (upgraded to
> 2100) for about three years, and use it every day, and a 110 which I've
> had since 1998, and keep around mainly (1) because it wouldn't bring
> much on eBay, what with no backlight and NOS 1 only; and (2) they still
> look really cool.
> This isn't just an intro, I've also got a technical question
>
> My Newton's been doing this weird thing lately where it will restart
> for no apparent reason (while not even on) several times per day. It's
> been going on at least a month, possibly longer. I had a look inside,
> on the theory that maybe something was going on with the reset switch,
> but no signs of foreign objects.
>
> Any ideas what might be going on?

Is it doing the reset without putting any error message? When you reboot,
does it give you any reason why it restarted?

-Laurent.

casting the runes n.: What a guru does when you ask him or her to run a
particular program and type at it because it never works for anyone else;
esp. used when nobody can ever see what the guru is doing different from
what J. Random Luser does. Compare incantation, runes, examining the
entrails; also see the AI koan about Tom Knight in "Some AI Koans" (Appendix
A).
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html