Re: [NTLK] LaserJet 4 Postscript and Localtalk upgrade?

From: Norman Palardy (palardyn_at_shaw.ca)
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 13:33:03 PST

I think you can add postscript but you may have a hard time finding the
right parts as HP has discontinued many accessories for the 4 series

 From HP's site
(http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?
locale=en_US&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=25487&prodTypeId=18972&objectID=bpl
04129#P13_1223)
PostScript and memory SIMM part numbers

For memory boards, compare the part number on the outside of the
package to the part number in the table below. If it is not the correct
SIMM, notify an authorized Hewlett-Packard dealer for available
options.

HP part number SIMM/PostScript
C2066A 8 MB
C2080A Adobe PostScript Level 2 SIMM (Obsolete)

This gets you the Postscript

 From
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?
locale=en_US&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=25487&prodTypeId=18972&objectID=bpm
00404
you need additional items
Introduction

There are two solutions for connecting an HP LaserJet 4 printer to a
Macintosh computer: a hardware solution and a software solution.

Hardware solution

NOTE: The HP LaserJet 4M printer is Macintosh ready. Obtain the
appropriate cabling needed (see cabling recommendations below).

An HP LaserJet 4 printer requires three hardware accessories and
cabling to become Macintosh compatible. These accessories are
PostScript (R), extra memory (so the printer has enough memory to
handle the PostScript language), and an internal LocalTalk MIO card or
an HP Jetdirect for Ethernet card (so the printer has the correct port
to connect and communicate with a Macintosh computer). After these
three accessories have been added to the HP LaserJet 4 printer, you
will have the equivalent of an HP LaserJet 4M printer.

The accessories for the HP LaserJet 4 printer are:

Part Number Interface Comments
                     LocalTalk 10 BaseT 100 BaseT BNC

J2341B X Discontinued 5/1/95
J2550B X Discontinued 7/1/99
J2552B X X X Discontinued 7/1/99
J2556B X X Discontinued 7/1/99
J4100A X X X
J4106A X

On 20-Jan-04, at 2:09 PM, kareljansens wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is an off-topic question for this list, but does
> anyone
> know if and how it is possible to upgrade a "plain" HP LaserJet 4
> (with 6 MB)
> to a PostScript-enabled LaserJet with a Localtalk socket?
>
> An idea on the cost would also help; I can get my hands on a
> second-hand
> non-HP laser printer with all the above specs for 100 Euro. As that
> printer
> would only really be useful for printing from my Newtons and the LJ 4
> would
> remain in service, both cost and desk space are coming in short supply.
>
> Rgds,
>
> Karel Jansens
> --
> inquiries