Re: [NTLK] Error when tapping Notes in Names: viewClass??? repost

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Sun Jan 18 2004 - 23:31:31 PST

on 1/18/04 5:46 PM, Berthe M. Willumsen at bmw_at_biobase.dk wrote:

> Can anyone figure out what I can do to make my notes-in-Names open
> for editing? I can see everything by scrolling, but cannot open. I
> can add a new note to a note-less namecard; such a new note will
> re-open for editing.

I believe it may already be obvious from other posts that you have a corrupt
names soup. There is at least one names-cleaning utility out there, but my
experience has been that this tool doesn't always help. However, it can't
hurt to run it. Names Cleaner I think was the name?

There are soup editing tools out there SBM Utilities and my favorite, Soup
Kitchen. What you do is open one of these tools, and choose the Names soup.

Things can get confusing here, as the names of things are different in
soups. Think of them like this:
Soup=database
Entry=record in the database
Slot=field in a record in a database

Where it can get really confusing is that a slot can contain other slots, so
sometimes you will click on a slot, and find more slots open underneath
it... You are fortunate, however , in that "notes" is just a plain old slot,
so tapping on a "Notes" slot will open the text in a separate window...

What you want to be looking for are notes in entries that, when tapping on
them, either won't open, or upon opening, show strange, non-readable
characters. If you can, try deleting those strange characters and see if
your problem goes away. If they won't open, your only recourse is to try to
delete the Notes slot for that particular entry. If that doesn't work, then
your whole soup is hosed, and you will have to start again. You can try
using NCU to export everything to your desktop as a text file, but I suspect
that even this won't work. At that point, I hope you have a recent,
uncorrupt backup... ;-)

HTH

--
Jon Glass