Re: [NTLK] [OT] iChat 1.0 revert problems?

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Sun Jan 18 2004 - 12:45:40 PST

On Sunday, January 18, 2004, at 10:00 AM, Anil wrote:

> Hi there, I maybe a Newton newbie but I am definitely not a Mac newbie,
> so here goes. Every LaserWriter Apple has made is supported by Panther,
This isn't quite right. It's a little too enthusiastic.

There are issues with older printers that only have mini din-8 serial
connectors, as Panther doesn't support Appletalk over localtalk, or
serial printing (officially) and none of the macs since the original
iMac (c1998) have the old school port.

There are also certain printers Apple sold with the Laserwriter brand
that are NOT postscript devices (ie Personal Laserwriter 300), which
will not work.

That said, to my knowledge, any postscript printer will work, if it's
an older Localtalk type device you might need a localtalk/ethernet
bridge (either a dedicated box like Asante or farallon, or an old mac).

> so don't throw out your printer! It will work great and set-up is a
> total breeze, and goes something like this. Plug in printer, select
> model in Print centre, and errmm.. Just print.
Hopefully this is true for you....

> Contact me off list if you would like a cheap copy of Panther.
Hopefully this isn't what I think it is.

Marty

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html