Re: [NTLK] [OT] Anil and List Etiquette

From: Matthew Reidsma (matthew_at_reidsrow.com)
Date: Sun Jan 18 2004 - 12:36:24 PST

A few suggestions to our miffed friend:

Most mail programs have a "Rules" feature. I have a few that pertain to
this list, perhaps you would like to duplicate them:

1) The Poutine Filter. I've been around a few years now, and as a
strict vegetarian, cannot eat anything save the fries that go into
making poutine. As such, I usually skip the articles. The poutine
filter finds all subject lines with the word "poutine" in them and
moves them to an "Off Topic Folder."

2) The Woo/Ferdi filter. This moves any message written by Woo or Ferdi
that uses the others name in the body of the message to an Off Topic
folder. I still enjoy reading them, but as I have limited time, I
prefer to hit the OT posts when I have the time.

3) The general "OT" filter. Moves any message flagged "OT" to the OT
folder for later perusal.

Just a few suggestions. Remember, this list is here for EVERYONE'S
enjoyment and learning, and as many of these folks feel almost like
"friends" to me (even though I have never met them,) the banter becomes
friendly. I'm sure you'll understand that people who become friends
sometimes tire of talking about the same thing. :)

Anyway, welcome aboard and I hope you stick around. If the list is too
much and you just want the Newton related highlights, check out
http://newtonnews.org. I try to dilute the highlights from the list
onto that site. (It's acting flaky now, and I'm troubleshooting...)

Anyway, I hope that helps. My duo of small monetary value
(international list folks, can't use pennies everywhere! :)

Matthew Reidsma
matthew_at_reidsrow.com

http://newtonnews.org : One stop shopping for the Green connected mind.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html