Re: [NTLK] OFF TOPIC - Anil + list

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Sat Jan 17 2004 - 20:53:43 PST

Well first off, we welcome new users. There is no need to think otherwise.
It takes time to get to "know" a group and what they like/dislike. But
regardless we won't shun you. No one may know the answer right away
(someone that knows may not check the list very often, or it just may need
some research). If you don't like certain topics just delete them or filter
them, it is easy enough.

You quoted the "what to post, what not to post" list from Newtontalk.net,
if I remember correctly it mentions at the top of that "this is just a
guideline and copied from other mail lists" or something to that effect. So
it is not written in stone. Newtons are the core reason for this list, but
not the only reason. We also joke and enjoy other kinds of posts (off
topic) as well. It keeps things interesting. I have been on many lists
that was so "rigid" that nothing was posted at all other than "exactly" on
topic. Well it lasted awhile, however posts slowed and eventually people
even forgot the list existed and therefore died. I am not saying that
Newtontalk would suffer such a fate if we did not have off-topic posts, but
I think some off-topic threads help keep the list interesting and flowing.
Granted it does make more "non Newton" mail, but you can always get the
digest which should reduce that. Or even read the archive at newtontalk.net
and only sign up when you have a question that is not being answered.

As for Victor, I think he is doing a great job. I have been a admin in such
a capacity and let me tell you it is no picnic. He does it out of love for
the newton community, and I applaud him for it.

So in summary, keep posting. There is no reason to feel shut out. Feel
free
to join in. But I do think that before trying to offer dramatic changes to
the list structure, hang around a bit or check the archives. This applies
to any list or group, not just Newtontalk.

We were all newbies once, and so we do know how you feel. :)

-Dan

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html