[NTLK] Memory Cards - What is reasonable?

From: Goodwin, Greg (GoodwinG_at_aafes.com)
Date: Fri Jan 16 2004 - 06:59:55 PST

From: "Newtopia" <MicroSSG_at_Comcast.net>

>... Also, I'm a little hesitant to even use
>my precious 2100 because of the write cycle issue.

What is the verdict on that? I know the internal flash doesn't last forever. Anyone have any failures yet? How long on average does that last?

From: doppler <roman_at_pixell.net>

>IMHO, a 16-20Mb card is the limit for NOS in order to function properly, but
>then again, it all depends what you use it for...

I use a 32 meg linear flash. I think it is buggy now, but it used to work quite well!

>if i would use the ATA driver, it would be only for tibet (digital images)
>and maybe sound recordings.

Here's my thoughts on ATA as it currently stands, at least as far as my 64 meg Sandisk cards work.

1) Works great with MP3's. Getting the MP3's on there is quite slow, roughly 45 minutes per MP3 transfer from a linear flash card, but once there, works great!

2) Wouldn't use it for MOD music files. Those go into freeze mode when the Newton resets.

3) Audio files... forget it! I've tried... doesn't work.

4) Regular files, sure!

    In short there are some things the ATA cards are good at, and as I'm starting to find, there are reasons to keep a linear card around. Kinda sad too, because I like have 128 meg of space on my Newton. (got two of the 64 meg cards). Guess I'll need to get one whopping card. Which brings me to the next point...

From: Eric Schneck <eschneck_at_mindspring.com>

><Flame bait>
>Reminds me of the old, old joke that there were no software conflicts on
>OS/2 because there was not enough software to cause a conflict.
></Flame bait>
    A funny but true point. However, I tried this. I tried putting every file I could find on my Newton. Well, I didn't get very far because eventually the Newton became bogged down, and in some cases if I wasn't careful, didn't have enough memory to load the directory.
     I would love to get a 512 meg compact flash card, but aside from MP3's it would almost be a detriment to the Newton. No offense to Paul Guyot who wrote the drivers, but I'm just looking for ways to make the Newton run better. I definitely want more space!

     All and all, to those without the ATA drivers yet, it is worth it anyway. You can easily find 32 meg and beyond card much easier, and for MP3's it is a must I think. Just be ready for a Newton that feels like a Newton 110 in directory speed, rather than the quickness we came to love in the 2x00.
     (Click open drawer... one one-thousand, two-one thousand.... Six-one thousand... OPEN! It really does remind me of the Newton 110 days all over again.)
      But a flip side to all this is, if they are working this well now, just a bit sluggish, it should be interesting to see what the non-beta full release version will be like.

       Take care,
        Doctor Clu

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html