Re: [NTLK] word processing for the mp 120?

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Thu Jan 15 2004 - 22:54:18 PST

on 1/15/04 6:01 PM, Dan at dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com wrote:

> Another possiblity is using the built-in notepad. I know several people
> that use this method. And there are some nice packages for spell checking
> like Merlin from Landware that do work with the notepad as well as
> NewtWorks. I think that also works with the 120 (I know it will work with
> OS 2.0 but not sure on the heep issues), I will check that out later today
> on mine and get back to you on that.

I concur with the Notepad idea. You might be surprised what this simple app
is capable of... For one thing, write your letter, tap the print routing
option, and choose "Letter" from the diamond list that displays. You enter
an address, and viola! a formatted letter! You can even have your digitized
signature printed at the bottom... Years ago, I created a letterhead that
left space for my address that printed in the middle. I used a comparable
font on my Mac, and the whole thing looked rather good, if I say so
myself... It wasn't my main letterhead by far, nor was it my mainstay, but
for a quickie "thank you" note, or some such thing, it worked fine. I even
learned how to format the text to print envelopes. I kept one note, and
replaced the text to print envelopes.

The Outline feature is one of the most brilliant outliners I've seen. Sure,
it may be lacking in numbering, etc, but for quickie roughs or even simple
outlines, it works great. I've taken lecture notes with this, and even
written sermons with it. With other stationery, you can do calculations,
keep phone notes and messages, and a whole lot more. There are also tools,
like Adam Tow's Styles+ for quickly changing text styles in Notes (although
the built-in palette can also do). I suggest playing with it, and seeing
what it can do before you invest in any product... I played with the demo of
AvailWorks, and decided that Notes worked better for me than AvailWorks...

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland