Re: [NTLK] Using a Merlin G100 card with a Newton

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Tue Jan 13 2004 - 11:54:09 PST

On Jan 13, 2004, at 11:31 AM, Steven Frank wrote:

> On my blog, I wrote an entry about how you can use a cheap Merlin G100
> PCMCIA cellular modem card to get online wirelessly with a PowerBook,
> using an existing T-Mobile SIM card and data account:
>
> http://stevenf.com/mt/archives/000491.php
>
> The interesting thing about this card is when I shove it into my
> Newton, it says "A communications card has been inserted" which gives
> me great hope that it can work with the Newt too.
>
> All that really needs to be done is to treat it like a modem card, and
> send it a dialing string something like:
>
> ATDT*99***#
<snip so ecartis accepts this>
> If anyone out there is interested in helping me get this to work, I'm
> sure it would be very very useful info for the Newton community in
> general.
I think I am also working on the same script although my modem isn't
internally installed it's the phone itself, which is kind of nice.
Especially if the infrared works.

Does the T-mobile SIM go into the card? I guess it must... Are you
also setting that phone# in your script to the APN name? ie
wap.voicestream.com?

This sounds pretty cool all right, especially if you can use the SIM in
a phone or the card as you choose. The Newt does fine getting DNS via
PPP in my experience.

I only get to play with this when my wife brings the phone home, so I
don't get very much time to do so. But I will post if I determine
anything useful.

Marty

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html