Re: [NTLK] Newton Geek Factor

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Tue Jan 13 2004 - 00:01:45 PST

on 1/12/04 4:12 PM, David Deranian at deranian_at_mac.com wrote:

> Here's a quick question for some of you more seasoned Newton users. How
> many of you use your Newton in public places like a retail store? For
> instance, how many of you pull out your Newton in a store to log a
> purchase into PocketMoney while you're still standing at the checkout
> counter? And if you don't do that because it's inconvenient or too
> "geek-like", what strategy do you use for entering data into your
> Newton on a daily basis? Do you save up your receipts in paper form,
> then enter them into your Newton at the end of the day? Or do you wait
> until the end of the week?

Interesting question. I often use my Newton to take notes in stores, or
write notes at home (dimensions, paint colors, shopping lists, etc) and read
them in the store. I'm in Poland, where such electronic toys... Er, tools,
are even less common than in the US, but I seldom notice people looking at
me funny--not that that would stop me. :-) However, for entering receipts,
when I did such things (while in the States) I found it too inconvenient to
enter them into PM in the store or restaurant, so I would whip out the pen,
and write on the receipt the purpose, and put the receipt into my Newton
wallet, and later, when I had the time, I would batch-enter what ever was in
the case, and then file the receipts. Sometimes, at the end of the day,
sometimes several-days' worth. Sometimes, I even skipped the Newton process,
and entered them directly into Quicken, but then I learned that it's best to
stick with one or the other, and went back to a Newton-entry system. :-)
That's a lot of words. Hope some of it helped.

--
Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland