Re: [NTLK] Connection setting for serial connection

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Sun Jan 11 2004 - 11:43:10 PST

Aux environs du 11/01/04 à 11:23 -0800, sous le titre "[NTLK]
Connection setting for serial connection", Jann Linder prit sa plus
belle plume pour écrire les mots suivants:
>Does anyone know the default connection settings (38400,8n1, etc) for
>the Connection/Dock when connected to a Mac via serial cable?

You got it right: 38400, 8bits, no parity, 1 stop bit.

>I am trying to write an app, but cannot get the ACK! back when i send
>an ACK? so i am assuming i have the wrong settings in my terminal.

Newton dock protocol doesn't look like this.
On serial, you have MNP compression. On top of this, you have the
Newton docking protocol described here:
http://www.kallisys.com/files/newton/Bowels/docking_protocol.txt

The package installation subset is also described in Newton Formats
(google for Newton Formats, it's on UNNA)

Depending on what you want to do, you might want to check:

- UnixNPI (implementation of the package installation subset).
http://unixnpi.sf.net/

- Desktop Connection Library (the most complete open source
implementation of the docking protocol available out there):
http://www.kallisys.com/newton/dcl/

- Apple's DILs (they're on UNNA as well, and probably on
ftp://ftp.apple.com/developer/). Complete but only available in
binary form for MacOS < X and Windows.

- I don't think Andrew Patrikalakis in his abandonned NSOL/NCL
project started working on this protocol.
(http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://anrp.irulethe.net/newton/)

- I think Philz did implement the package installation (http://newton.vyx.net/)

Regards,

Paul

--
Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.
NPDS/NewtonOS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/